Friday, January 26, 2007

Not quite adequite

I just saw a commercial featuring a woman (I think I'm supposed to know who she is but I don't) talking about the importance of education. The commercial is launching a scholarship contest for high school girls.

"My parents made a lot of sacrifices in order for my sister and I to be able to get a good education."
Now, I think it's great for famous (even if I don't recognize them) people to support education and encourage young people to pursue their dreams through education. But if they're going to be on a commercial about education, shouldn't they at least use correct grammar? I can't imagine that they are just talking off-the-cuff and there is no opportunity to edit or re-shoot. Isn't someone writing the script for them? Shouldn't that someone catch things like this? Or do they just not notice or care?

P.S. I know I break grammar rules all the time on this blog, but this is a place where I informally jot down thoughts. I am very careful with my grammar when I am in my professional role. I would expect that shooting a commercial about education would be considered "professional" for an actress.

P.P.S. Right after the education commercial, there was a commercial for car insurance that ended with "...drive away quicker". Sheesh.

No comments: