Sunday, January 28, 2007

Geek = MC Square



At first I thought this was funny...and then I realized that it describes much of my college experience and I might understand the lyrics a little too well. My friends actually had copies of the manuscript for The Holy Grail, which they let me borrow on the off-chance that I could not recite the entire movie from memory. Granted, it was college, so there was some sort of drinking game associated with the script.

I also remember watching TV at the fraternity next door while they were having a mixer with a sorority. I stayed out of the way, closing the door to the TV room and minding my own business. One of the brothers popped his head into the TV room to round everyone up for the mixer and asked what I was watching. I said, "Star Trek...it's the episode when Spock comes back." (For all you non-nerds out there, this was in 1991 when Spock guest-starred on a couple of the "Next Generation" episodes.) He said, "Spock is back?" and immediately sat down to watch. Another brother looked in and the same thing happened. Over the course of 15 minutes most of the fraternity ended up in the TV room, leaving the sorority alone upstairs. Finally, the social chair for the sorority opened the door to the TV room and found me sitting there, surrounded by the entire fraternity. She gave me a dirty look and I just said, "It's not my fault, Spock's back."

Where else but MIT could Spock trump a room full of sorority girls?

6 comments:

Brother Hammer said...

Oh no. I actually have a copy of the Star Wars Christmas special.

Anonymous said...

That's only because TDC had such lame parties and Pat must not have been keeping you entertained... :)

wenmei said...

Whoa! Someone who knows details! Who is this? Mark?

By the way, in this particular case I'd blame the sorority, not TDC... :)

Mark said...

Hi! Yes, I'll unmask myself... I thought it would be fun for you to guess. :)

I think I actually remember the mixer you were describing. Such a long time ago...

wenmei said...

Do I win a prize for guessing correctly?

Mark said...

Hmmm... you probably deserve one, especially after getting it right in one guess. However, prizes should always be negotiated before blurting out the answer and winning. :)