Tuesday, January 23, 2007

More ponderings, less filling

I'm not a chocolate person
I've always assumed that I am one of those stereotypical women who lives for chocolate. This morning I realized that I'm not. I don't eat much chocolate. I don't crave it. I got a box of Swiss chocolates in September and I've only eaten 4 pieces. When I have a choice of desserts, I rarely choose the chocolate option. I like penuche and peanut butter fudge, sugar cookies, angel food cake, coffee ice cream. I don't drink mochas. This isn't earth-shattering, but it is interesting to me. It's like looking in the mirror and realizing after 30 years that your eyes are green instead of brown.

Jared Leto and Sienna Miller are not attractive
Margaret and I once sat in the hot sun for 10 hours, just for a chance to see Jared Leto . This was when he was still Jordan Catalano. Yes, he was short, but he was beautiful. And now he looks like a zombie. I suppose he's a "serious arteeest" and he's making a statement, but still... And I've never thought Sienna Miller was beautiful (too ordinary to be beautiful), but she used to be pretty in a common girl-next-door kind of way. Now she just looks haggard and cheap. Fake smiles, dead eyes, leathery skin, desperate need to be noticed and taken seriously. Maybe her upcoming movies will show some talent other than hooking up with her co-stars and she can become a serious arteeest like Jared Leto and embrace her inner (and outer) zombie.

I'm a gadget geek
My favorite new gadget is the MP3 player Chris gave me for my birthday. It's the iriver clix and I love it. It's small, it's easy to use, it's full of great functionality, and best of all, it's not an iPod. It's awesome. Now that we have a NAS (network attached storage), we've loaded all of our music to a shared folder that we can both access via our wireless network (don't worry, it's secure). So now I don't have to sneak into Chris' CD collection to steal his music anymore.

Canon is cool
You may remember that I broke my camera during the honeymoon. I got an emergency replacement in Venice and have been using the replacement since. It's a great little camera, but it's more of a Ph.D (push here dummy) set-up than I like. I've been missing my old camera, so I decided to send it to the factory to see how much it would cost to fix. I sent in my warranty information as well, pretending not to notice that
  1. I never actually sent in the warranty card to register the camera in the first place;
  2. Even if I had registered the camera, the warranty expired several months ago; and
  3. The warranty explicitly states that it does not cover impact damage -- which is clearly what happened to my camera ("Well uhhhh...I was taking a picture in a very responsible manner when suddenly the LCD screen burst into fragments...I have no idea how it happened").
Within a week of sending it in, I've got it back -- fixed at no cost! Yay! Yet another reason I'm sticking with Canon.
Out of all of the random ponderings of the day, the one that still strikes me the most is the fact that I'm not a chocolate freak. I've always thought I was. How odd.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome to hear about your Canon experience... because they've got my camera right now! Mine was the victim of some sort of impact (read: dropped from a great height during New Year's revelry). I've been keeping my fingers crossed, and it seems that things are on track for me to get back a functioning, fixed (and free) camera within the week!

Tarik Saleh said...

Huh,

I had my cannon sd600 crap out on me 2 times. Both times on the first day of a trip. No impact damage, just lens malfunction. They DID warantee it for free twice as it is in the first year of its life, but I would have preferred to make it through the first year, or at least my trip to italy, without it malfunctioning. Secondly, they could have called it a lemon and replaced it instead of fixed it the second time. Otherwise, best camera I have ever owned, really...