Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

...except without the chestnuts (I'm allergic) or the open fire. We just replaced our wood-burning fireplace with a gas fireplace. So I guess it's more like "peanuts warming by the gas-lit fire". Not quite as festive-sounding, but boy it's great!

We haven't been using our fireplace due to burn bans, a chimney that hadn't been cleaned in years, and my fear of the spiders living in the woodpile. Since I am always cold and would benefit greatly from a fireplace, and Chris would like to stop heating the entire house when we only use a couple of the rooms, we decided that our Christmas gift to one another this year would be a gas fireplace. We love it.

Now maybe we'll do something about that hot tub that's been sitting empty in the backyard for the past two years...

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm jealous! Next time the power goes out, it's s'mores at your house.

wenmei said...

Well, the glass faceplate on the gas fireplace doesn't move, so we can't actually get to the flames for s'mores. But I bet we can remedy the situation with a few candles. I used to roast marshmallows (using -- and subsequently burning -- my mom's fancy chopsticks) over candles when I was a kid. (I hope my mom doesn't see this comment. I don't think the statute of limitations for burned chopsticks has expired yet.)