Friday, September 12, 2008

Another demographic division

Now that Zachary is over 10 months old and eating more solid foods per day than I do, I know that our nursing relationship will end soon. Even though we had a difficult start and I went through stages of feeling overwhelmed or trapped or resentful when he was nursing every hour (not to mention the 9 episodes of full-blown antibiotic-requiring mastitis and countless clogged ducts), I'm sad to know that soon I won't be nursing him anymore.

Because I don't know too many mothers who continue to EBF (exclusively breastfeed) up to or beyond 6 months, I was curious about what the national trends are. I looked at the Healthy People 2010 goals and the CDC's Breastfeeding Report Card (based on national data from 2005). The national objective is to increase the number of mothers and the length of time they BF. The targets for 2010 are as follows: 75% in early postpartum, 50% at 6 months and 25% at 12 months. In 2005, we'd already reached 74.2% in early postpartum, 43.1% at 6 months, and 21.4% at 12 months. It seems that, as a country, we are right on track to meet the goals! But there's a fair amount of discrepancy between the states (over 90% of mothers in Washington BF at least a little while, whereas less than 50% of mothers in Louisiana do).

Looking at the data, the states who already meet the national goals are Alaska, California, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, and Washington. Way to go westerners! And Vermont. I've always liked Vermont. And I guess that explains why BFing is so accepted (and often pushed) around here -- we are in the midst of the "lactation belt" of the United States!

I wonder how long it will be before politicians start pandering to us, promising free Hooter Hiders for votes. I already have my Hooter Hider, but I'll take some Baby Legs if you're offering.

No comments: