Saturday, June 21, 2008

Scene from a sitcom -- where's the canned laughter?

Yesterday evening was quite exciting in our household. Zachary was cranky all day, so it had already been a very long day. I'm not sure what was going on with my normally sweet-natured little guy, but if he wasn't eating, sleeping, or being held, he was screaming. So much so that I even heard the neighbors commenting on it to one another ("Boy, sounds like someone isn't too happy today!"). One small mercy was that his overwhelming crankiness didn't interfere with his napping at all.

By the time Chris came home from work, Zachary was teetering on the brink of a complete meltdown. I asked Chris to get the air conditioner we bought for the nursery while I cleaned up Zachary, so that we could try to install the A/C before he went to bed (one possible contributor to the crankiness could be the stifling hot sauna of a room he sleeps in).

Installing the A/C is a 2-person job (why are they so darn heavy?), so Chris put Zachary in his crib while we worked. Of course, Zachary started crying. Meanwhile, we realized that we need something to secure the window sash, since it is the only thing keeping the A/C unit from falling out of the window. So Chris ran out to the garage to get some wood while I held the A/C unit in the window. At this point, Zachary had escalated his crying to a full blood-curdling scream. I thought that Chris was just getting the wood, but when he didn't return, I realized that he planned to cut it as well...while I was kneeling at the window, keeping a 50lb A/C unit from falling out and trying to comfort my screaming baby from across the room.

I yelled for Chris but he didn't hear me. So I yanked the A/C back into the room (scraping up my arms in the process) and put it on the floor so that I could pick up Zachary. As I tried to comfort Zachary, Chris came back upstairs and put the A/C back in the window so that we could measure the size of window jam we need. Unfortunately, he grabbed the A/C around the back, where it is covered with a razor-sharp screen. He nearly dropped the A/C out the window, he was bleeding all over the floor of the nursery, and the baby was still screaming his head off.

30 frazzled minutes later, Zachary was in bed for the night (with the air cooler from A-mah to keep his room comfortable), Chris' fingers were bandaged up, and I had scraped up arms and a massive headache. What a day.

No comments: