Monday, March 24, 2008

Working mom

I am now officially a working mom. I survived my first day pretty well, I think. I only cried 4 times, and those were all before 10 AM. (I also cried twice this evening and once last night, but we won't talk about that.) I actually found that I was OK unless someone asked me if I was OK. I'd think, "Yeah" but I'd say, "Waaaaaa!"

I also found out today that we got a spot at the daycare at my work! This would have been AMAZING news four days ago, but today it's kind of bittersweet. Overall, it's the best thing for us because it will mean that Z will be downstairs and I can go visit/nurse/snuggle him whenever I want to. It also gives me a bit more flexibility with my schedule and it sets us up for if/when I go back to work full-time (yes, I cried that much today and I only worked a half day). But it's bittersweet because we love our nanny and we're really sorry to have to let her go. I will recommend her to anyone who is looking for a nanny, because she really is a gem.

Tonight was also the inaugural night of Wine, Dine & Opine (I just made up that name). Jen, Lara, Dawn, Margaret, Missy and I met at Cathy's to eat, drink and discuss immigration reform. We had a really enjoyable evening and I already feel smarter.

I'm having trouble writing tonight. I'm tired and a bit worn out from the stress of the last couple of weeks, so my writing is very fragmented. I can't think of a good closing sentence for this post, so this is going to have to do. Good night!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I think the first day is the hardest, and it will just get better. How nice to have him at your office though. You can probably avoid the whole hideous pumping scenario. How did Zachary do with the bottle etc? Also, I do know someone who is looking for a part time nanny, so if you want to pass your nanny's info on, I would send it to her.

wenmei said...

You're right, the second day wasn't so hard! Although I'm still struggling with the whole "why am I even here when I could be playing with my baby?" dilemma. I think I'll be struggling with that one for awhile.

I will email you our nanny's info -- she's really terrific and I would love for her to find a good family!