Monday, March 31, 2008

1 down, 54 to go

Today marks the first home game of a very very long baseball season.

I don't really have a problem with baseball itself, but the impact that the home games have on my non-baseball-game-attending weekdays (otherwise known as "work days") annoys me. My office is a couple blocks south of Safeco Field, and the only way to get home is to drive right past the stadium. There are 55 weekday home games this season (plus another 26 weekend games), so that means there are 55 times between now and the end of September that I will have to adjust my schedule so that I don't get caught in game day traffic.

55 weekday home games. I mean, c'mon. Isn't that a bit ridiculous? I didn't even count the away games. Once I got to 81 home games, I was too tired to think about the rest of them. I can't imagine how tiring it must be to be a fan -- to get all worked up over each game, 162 times. Or maybe getting "worked up" isn't part of baseball fandom?

Target Salad, maybe you can explain it to me.

3 comments:

Tarik Saleh said...

"its a long season"

"we are going to take it one game at a time"

And there you have it. You now understand the beisbol.

I suggest getting promoted so you can spend each weekday home game conducting bidness in the company luxury box.

Also starting at 9months (effective head holding up ability) or so, train the infant to ride in the bike seat so you can bypass the traffic without driving.

wenmei said...

I KNEW you were going to make a comment about the whole bike commuting thing! I originally wrote that I normally ride my bike on game days but I can't anymore because of the bebe. But I knew you'd call me out on it, b/c they do make such a thing as a bike trailer...

Tarik Saleh said...

Axe and ye shall receive.

As the youngling grows a bit, consider one of those seats that fit between you and the bars. It is pretty easy to monitor the kid while you ride. The trailer is good when they are small...

I think one brand is the weeride, but there must be places to get similar things in seattle...