Thursday, March 23, 2006

Still Life and Momos

Chris and I saw the Roy Lichtenstein exhibit at the Henry Art Gallery tonight. It was Chris' first experience with pop art and my first view of Lichtenstein's entire body of work. Wow. I had no idea that Lichtenstein experimented with so many different artistic styles. It was really amazing to see how he could distill each style to its core and reinvent it in his own way. Two of my favorite pieces from this exhibit were "Still Life with Windmill" (at left) and "Tel Aviv Museum Mural" (below).

After an enjoyable stroll through the gallery and a surprise visit with Emily (who was there for a lecture), Chris capped off the evening by going through an emergency exit and setting off the security alarms. I sure hope they let us come back after that stunt -- there's a Maya Lin exhibit I want to see in May.

We topped off our cultural and criminal activities with a delicious Himalayan dinner at The Himalayan Sherpa Restaurant on the Ave. It's been awhile since I spent time in the U District, so it was fun to walk around and see what's changed. The main things I noticed are that there's a lot more pho (yay!) and my favorite little Italian restaurant is gone (boo!). I don't even know what the restaurant was called, but it's been replaced by a place called Kai's Bistro and Lounge. It didn't look like Kai's offers the same aria-singing waitresses, unfortunately.

We had a fun evening and I'm looking forward to taking Chris to more galleries. In the future, however, I will keep a closer eye on him when we are near emergency exits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i want to know how many alarms he set off at emergency exits!!!