Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bumper stickers

Bumper stickers seem to be popular amongst a particular group of people. Often, you will see just about every political or activist statement possible plastered all over the back of a car. I like to read them, paint a mental picture of who I think would display that particular set of messages, then pass them to see if I was right. It's a good way to pass time while commuting.

Today, I was behind a car that had only one bumper sticker. It said, "Lottery: A tax on people who can't do math". OK...that's a cute statement. But does anyone really feel strongly enough about lotteries to place a bumper sticker about them on their nice shiny Volvo? Especially if it's their only bumper sticker? Did they evaluate all of the possible bumper stickers out there, see that one, and say, "Yes! That's it! That's SO me!"?

My mom only had one bumper sticker on her car when I was growing up, but it was more of a public service announcement. "Don't follow me...I'm lost too." Now that makes sense.

No comments: