Thursday, March 16, 2006

My point of view

Chris and I went to the ballet last night to watch the dress rehearsal for their newest production, "Points of View". It was Chris' first ballet, and I thought it was a really good one for him to see because it included three separate pieces displaying a wide range of ballet styles.

The Bridge is based on Romeo and Juliet in Sarajevo. I didn't really like this piece -- I felt that it was rather repetitious, the music wasn't very engaging, and it lacked the emotion and drama that I would expect from such a tragic event. Chris wasn't very enthused either -- I could see him shifting and fidgeting and trying desperately to stay focused. We enjoyed Time and Other Matter a lot more - the passion, energy and rhythmic fluidity were mesmerizing. The third piece, La Valse, was a more classical piece by George Balanchine. It was beautiful, and Chris really liked it. When the curtain fell, he said, "What? That's it? There's not more??"

There were several little girls attending the dress rehearsal and it was so cute to see them practicing their twirls in the hall during the breaks. The best part, however, was when I came back to the lobby to find Chris practicing HIS twirls too.

After the ballet, we headed over to Kells to pick up our tickets for tomorrow and to meet Duane and Jeff for a couple pints. It was really nice to have some time to catch up with Duane before he heads off to Whistler for some skiing. I'm hoping that he will move back to Seattle soon!

One more day before we get to "celebrate my people" (as Margaret put it)! It's so fun to be such a hybrid mutt -- I get to claim so many heritages. Thanks to my mom, I get Chinese New Year. Thanks to my dad, I get St. Patrick's Day and 4th of July. Thanks to my stepdad, I get Oktoberfest. I finally put it all together to come up with my ethnic group. I am Tai(wanese)(I)rish-Ger(man)(A)merican: Tairish-Germerican. Kinda sounds like a designer dog breed gone bad, actually. I'll have to get on Photoshop and come up with something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for a woman that takes so many pictures, it's nearly a crime that you weren't able to immortalize Chris's twirls!!!
hmm. i want to go to the ballet...

wenmei said...

You want pictures? Check out today's post! The paparazzi was in top form for St. Paddy's Day. ;)