Sunday, September 02, 2007

Crush

Most girls have crushes on characters in movies or TV shows at some point in their lives. I went through my Ricky Schroder in Silver Spoons phase, my Pierce Brosnan in Remington Steele phase, my John Schneider in The Dukes of Hazzard phase, and of course, my Brad Pitt in anything phase. But the one character crush who has withstood the test of time (i.e. I still swoon when I watch him) is an unlikely one: Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music. Oh be still, my beating (and singing and waltzing) heart! The scene in the gazebo when he tells Maria that he's in love with her still gives me the shivers.

What makes him most crush-worthy to me is his wit (this is the same reason I love Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone). He has some fantastic lines, especially when talking to Herr Zeller.

Herr Zeller: Perhaps those who would warn you that the Anschluss is coming - and it is coming, Captain - perhaps they would get further with you by setting their words to music.
Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.
And my all-time favorite:
Herr Zeller: I've not asked you where you and your family are going. Nor have you asked me why I am here.
Captain von Trapp: Well, apparently, we're both suffering from a deplorable lack of curiosity.
*Sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what eez eet with yzou and ze sound of muzak?

you went a few years ago to the musical on mount tam right? then again, he's just hot. who cares what he says when he looks like that? - rcp

Anonymous said...

Me too! Me too! I never even knew you had a crush on him, too, did I?