Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I'm still a PMP

I thought that I left my project management tasks behind when I quit my job, but apparently I haven't. With a little guy who fits 3 naps (which he will only take in a crib), 3 solid meals, 5 nursings and a bath into a 12 hour day, it can be tough to do anything else. Normally this isn't too much of an issue, other than the fact that I can't do anything during the day unless I can squeeze it into the 45 minute slot I have between lunch and nap #3. But we are now in the season of weddings. A wedding that takes place locally isn't too difficult, but a wedding in Texas, in which I am a bridesmaid, is a bit more challenging.

To give you an idea of what we will be juggling this weekend, here is a snapshot of our schedule the day of the wedding. I didn't make the schedule with the intention of sticking to it (after all, a baby will do what a baby will do), but rather to make sure that it's even logistically possible to get in everything we need to do. And it is. Barely.

There are three columns in addition to the time column. The column labeled "Wedding" shows the wedding events that I need to attend. "Zachary" shows his normal schedule at home. "Combined" shows my attempt to mesh the other two columns. It will be tight, Chris will be doing a lot of driving around, and Zachary will miss a nap and go to bed late (which could be VERY trying for anyone within earshot of him), but hopefully it will work out reasonably well.

We have four more weddings after this one, and we're still trying to figure out those logistics...


Legend: yellow = wedding activity; green = driving; peach = sleep; blue = eat

4 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm so impressed with your schedule. Benjamin is lucky to get solid food twice a day, and a bath, I don't know, sometimes. This makes me feel like I should be way more consistent with his routine.

wenmei said...

Actually, the only thing I'm pretty consistent about is his napping and bedtime (which is enforced by him through lots of finger-sucking and eye-rubbing followed by high-pitched wails). The nursing and meals are fit in whenever I can get them in.

thisblissfullife said...

ok. this is scary... that's my first thought.
my second thought is - if i do this for my life, i bet i'll get 3x as much stuff done....

i need your plan.

:)
shilpa

Anonymous said...

Wow Wenmei. You were alot more prepared for my wedding than I was! I'm going to get off now, but thanks again for coming. I'm honored you came to be at my wedding and look forward to seeing you again real soon. next time in your neck of the woods...unless you ever find yourself back in the true sunshine state.--tiffany