Friday, July 14, 2006

Prom #2

I went to not one, but TWO proms this year! Not bad (or maybe not good) for a married gal in her 30s.

In April, we had Promza, in the form of the Bonza Bash. This was my opportunity to get all spiffied up and finally attend a prom where I have a handsome (and taller) date who I like. We went with a fun group of friends and felt no need to sneak out to find a "real" party after a couple songs. If you missed the recap, you can see it here.

In June, we had the Dudley Manlove High prom, presented by the Brian Winter's Project. This one was a flashback to the 80's, giving me the chance to reinvent my own prom memories. Once again, I had a handsome and taller date who I like. Even better, I didn't have to wear heels or taffetta -- I got to wear a white belt, capri leggings and Keds instead. When those clothing items were "in" (the first time...apparently, they are back), I wasn't quite cool enough to get away with wearing them. I'm not quite cool enough now either, but I'm old enough to not care anymore.

A sampling of other memories I reinvented:

  • No rancid butter in the cake frosting. Actually, no cake at all. Replaced cake with a full bar.
  • No "Shower Me With Your Love" as the theme song. I didn't replace it with a new one -- it was enough to just remove that one from my memories.
  • No Mrs. King to kick out my date for not wearing a jacket. My husband wore an "I slept with Debbie Gibson" button and considered that to be going all out.
  • No petty girl drama about something that I can't remember -- all I can remember is that it had something to do with Jeri (I think).
  • No sneaking off as quickly as possible to go dancing at La Cave surrounded by layers of pastel-hued taffeta (none of which were mine -- I was in my wear-nothing-but-black phase)
The only thing I need to do to make my "new" 80's prom memories perfect is to draw Kristy into them. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Of course, I have pictures:


No comments: