Thursday, May 25, 2006

Over the hill(s)

In my years of cycling here in Seattle, there have been two routes that have consistently filled me with dread. When I was a grad student pedaling from UW to Wallingford, it was the Wallingford hill. When I was an architect commuting from Pioneer Square to Fremont, it was the Dexter hill. Now that I'm old(er) and out of shape, what do I have to contend with during my bicycle commute from Sodo? Yep, the Dexter hill...followed immediately by the Wallingford hill. For good measure, throw in a couple shorter (but steeper) hills as I ride through downtown and Greenlake. I just keep reminding myself:

This...is...making...me...stronger

I do have to admit, though, it's a lot easier now that I got the derailer fixed on my bike. Last week (before it was fixed) I was standing up to power my way up a ridiculously steep hill when I tried to downshift. I immediately popped into the highest gear my bike has (21), came to a complete standstill, and tipped over. Very graceful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hah! i just wrote about my painful biking experiences. i ate more bugs than you did. neener neener! -rcp