Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dream Cycle

As I ride home from work, I find myself daydreaming that I either work at a different company or live in a different neighborhood. My daydreams are not a result of any unhappiness with my current job and home (in fact, I am very happy with both). It's much more basic: I'm dreaming of a shorter and flatter bike route. I start off thinking, "I wonder if I could work from the King Street office during the summer?" then move on to "Boy, if I worked at Adobe, I wouldn't even have to go over Dexter," and "Gosh, what if I still lived at my old place in lower Queen Anne?" By the time I make it to Wallingford, I'm reduced to, "We could live there, or there, or there..."

Of course, my daydreams are interrupted with my regular rant of "Why in the world did they put the bicycle route on Dexter? Why start at sea level and ride two miles up a hill, just to ride back down the other side and end up back at sea level? What was the point of that?"

Once I finally make it home, I'm happy again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always forget the Dexter hill and go around the edges.

wenmei said...

True -- and I consider that every single time I'm stopped at the Denny light. But then I get competitive and feel like I must CONQUER the hill...even though I complain about it the entire time. Especially since Dexter isn't even as bad as Wallingford Ave/Stone Way, and there's no way to avoid those (I have to get to the top somehow). So you are absolutely right, but unfortunately, I am much too stubborn to be smart about it. :)

Anonymous said...

I still love to ride a bike!! I have so many happy memories of days riding to friends and all over the neighborhood when I grew up, BUT.... mind you, this was all in Kansas and we were looking for any incline to speed down. They were few and far between.

Anonymous said...

just admit it. you know you love your quads of steele. i do :) - rcp.

Anonymous said...

i think you're bragging that you can do a tough ride after a tough day of work!!!
impressive, especially to those of us (me) who only walks and takes a subway and complains about the stairs!