Friday, April 21, 2006

Fluctuations & honeymoons

Chris and I put off our honeymoon because we wanted to be able to travel in the August-September timeframe in order to catch the best weather. Originally, we planned to go to Tibet, but now we're looking at other options due to the issues in Nepal (most of the trips we'd like to take are in the Lhasa/Mt. Everest region and either start or end in Kathmandu).

We are fluctuating between "active" and "spoiled rotten lazy". We've found a few trips that sound really interesting, and I was wondering if anyone out there has recommendations or advice. We've narrowed it down to the following four options:

  • Tahiti & Moorea
    • Spoiled rotten lounging in a tropical paradise
    • No trekking
  • Thailand - Bangkok, Chiang Mai & Krabi
    • Moderate trekking & biking in Bangkok & Chiang Mai
    • Canoeing & beaches in Krabi
  • Turkey - Istanbul, Bafa Lake & Mediterranean
    • Moderate trekking around Bafa Lake
    • Sailing & trekking along Mediterranean coast
  • Nairobi - Mt. Kilimanjaro (Marangu route)
    • Serious trekking, waking up at midnight to summit Uhuru Peak
    • No beaches
Whaddya think? Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Also, whenever I use the word "fluctuate", I can't help but think of the following joke:


A Japanese man walks into the currency exchange with 2000 yen and walks out with $72. The next week, he walks in with 2000 yen and is handed $66. He asks the teller why he got less money that week than the previous week. The teller answers, “Fluctuations." As the man leaves, he turns around and shouts, “Fluck you Amelicans, too!”

I know, it's not politically correct. Ah well.

5 comments:

Tarik Saleh said...

A much needed naughtier variation on the timeless "Supplies!" joke.

I have no idea about lounging in turkey, but istanbul was a really nice city to visit. It is Cairo lite, in a good way. Cairo is way too much really, too dirty, too crowded, kind of nasty to non-arab women. Istanbul is cairo without the creeping fundamentalism, plus the blue mosque and the hagia sophia. i really liked it.

good luck.

Anonymous said...

dude. i love it :) - rcp

Anonymous said...

i like the lazy vacation....
-shilpa
but of course, that is what I'D do.

Anonymous said...

I would say BEACHES!!! Drinking on the beach :-) Trekking is awesome too but no need to cut out the beaches!
Deserted and cheap beaches so that cuts out most of the Mediterranean... leaving Tahiti and Thailand.

Tahiti... I'm convinced you can create some very interesting treks in Tahiti even though they won't be well known (or on a map)

Thailand... very good places to trek, lots of different landscapes and lots of beaches.

If you want one top choice I'd say Tahiti... but that's probably influenced by me getting lots of bug bites when I went to Thailand, and I've never been to Tahiti.

Hope that helps a bit! I am so excited for you guys to go travel :-)

dctken said...

Tahiti and Moorea is the best choice and you can be active as well. See my blog at http://www.tamtrip.blogspot.com/

and I would love to help you plan this trip. I am a tahiti expert.