Saturday, February 25, 2006

Go Speed Racer Go


I tried out my new ski helmet at Crystal today, and yes, I look like Speed Racer. Unfortunately, I am quite a bit slower than Speed, and on powder days like today, I tend to ski with a more Bode-esque style (although, again, quite a bit more slowly). To summarize: I look like a Japanime character who is slowly skiing on the verge of control. Regardless, I love my new helmet. It's light, it's warm, and it has flourescent pink straps that remind me of my Euro-80's skiing youth.

In addition to the Speed Racer photos, I've included two lunchtime photos of Brett & Emily and Travis exhibiting the fatigue that comes from skiing on fresh powder all morning. Apparently I looked even more exhausted when I finally stumbled into the Snorting Elk after a full day of "freshies in the pow-pow". It's the first time I've entered a jam-packed Snorting Elk and had people jumping up to offer me a seat.

We didn't have quite the blue clear skies of last weekend (see photo below for the same view from last Saturday's post -- Travis is helpfully pointing out Mt. Rainier in the background), but it was a lot warmer and the snow was amazing. After following Chris down a few ungroomed blacks, I finally got the hang of carving turns in deep powder on steep slopes. My knees and quads are not happy about it, but I am.

Of course, we ended the day at the Snorting Elk. It was too crowded to get a game of Hearts going, so we did not get another opportunity to witness "Schnitty" Pearce's strategy. Instead, I taught them the cup-passing game (does it have a name? I have no idea -- I learned it from Heather and Whitney Stewart when I was a kid). After the trek back to the car, which was easier for me since my sweet husband carried my skis for me, we headed back to the city to pick Cowboy up from his day o' fun at Pixel's. All-in-all, another great day on the slopes!

No comments: