Friday, April 13, 2007

Sosa smart

Last night at Chris' birthday dinner, we were seated near one of the private banquet rooms. We kept seeing clean-cut athletic-looking guys wander in and out of the room. When one of them passed our table, Chris said, "That's Sammy Sosa!"

At first, I was impressed that Chris can recognize pretty much every professional athlete out there, regardless of whether he watches that particular sport or not. But then I realized that it's probably similar to my ability to recognize most Hollywood starlets, even though I haven't seen any of their "work".

It turns out the Texas Rangers were in the banquet room, enjoying a steak and lobster feast before they play the Mariners tonight. We enjoyed our front row seats as we watched them walk around and chat. In general, they are much more athletic and compact-looking than I thought baseball players would be.

As they were leaving, Sammy Sosa walked past our table again. He turned and gave me a little wave good-bye and I smiled back. Chris sat there in shock, and then announced to the maitre d' in a loud voice, "Sammy Sosa just hit on my wife!" The maitre d' laughed as Chris said, "I was going to do something about it, but then I realized that whatever I started would end very quickly and badly for me."

Maybe he IS a year wiser!

No comments: