Friday, July 20, 2007

To geek or not to geek

I listen to Cosmo radio on Sirius during my drive home, and the other day one of the callers talked about this really geeky guy who actually used Excel to list the various sections of his grocery store. The hosts laughed and joked about how horribly geeky that was, and how "I don't think I've ever even used Excel! That's Microsoft Excel, right? Hee hee hee hee!" (Note, the host who said this is a guy in his late 20's or early 30's and a Princeton graduate...so it's not like it was a 22 year old bimbo who thinks a make-up exam is when you're tested on your mascara-applying skills.)

I started thinking about the Excel (yes, Microsoft Excel) spreadsheet I used to plan our wedding. How I had all the sheets linked and I wrote macros to run reports on budgeting, alternate options, and to track our thank you notes against the gifts received. I thought about the spreadsheets I use to track medical treatment, lab test results, insurance coverage, and my health status.

No! Could it be? Am I a geek too?? But Excel is so basic -- it's like remedial data management! We joke about it at work! We roll our eyes when someone tells us they are using Excel to track information! And it's not like I maintain a SQL database or anything -- it's Excel!

And then I realized, based on my prior comments, I might actually be a geek. Either that, or I need to stop listening to Cosmo radio.

(Another clue that I might be a geek: The same host likes to use the phrase "Ohhh snap!" a lot. Whenever he says it, I think of the "object snap" feature in AutoCAD, which is called "osnap" for short.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Single Line:

=PROPER( SUBSTITUTE( SUBSTITUTE( SUBSTITUTE( "#Mb%AC#&yOu%&iNn#%&g##K!", "#",CHAR(69)), "%",CHAR(82)), "&",CHAR(32)))

wenmei said...

Oh I do...believe me, I do. I'm just concerned that it's a bit more "outer" than I realized. ;-)